Ayasofya Müzesi Hagia Sophia


(İstanbul) Fethiye Museum (Pammakaristos)

Fethiye Museum is in Çarşamba vicinity of Fatih county of İstanbul. It is the church of Pammakaristos (very very happy) Monastery which had been built in East-Roman period. The church consists of two buildings and had been built on the remnants of the old church after the end of Latin domination in 1261. The north church is dedicated to Mary. It had been built between 1292 and 1294 by Michael Doukas Tarchaneiotes who was the nephew of Emperor Michael Palaiologos VIII. After a while Maria, the wife of Michael Doukas had built a small additional church (Parecclesion) in 1315 dedicated to Christ at the right of the north church. This additional church is a grave chapel containing the graves of Maria and Michael.

After the conquest, the monastery and the church were held by the Christians; and the patriarchate discharged from Havariyun Church moved here in 1455 and this place had been used for patriarchate until 1586. The building had been transformed into a church in Sultan Murad III period and denominated as Fethiye for the sake of Azerbaijan and Georgia military expeditions which had been carried out then.

Today, the north church is still used as a mosque. The walls of the additional church are decorated with the best mosaics of the 14th century. It has been repaired during the period between 1938 and 1940 and became an organizational unit of Hagia Sophia Museum. The Museum is opened for visits in 2006.

The museum is available for visitors between 09:00 and 18:00 every day, except Wednesdays.


Address : Fethiye Caddesi, Çarşamba - Fatih İstanbul/Türkiye
Telephone : (0212) 635 12 73 – 522 09 89
Fax : (0212) 512 54 74
E-mail : ayasofyamuzesi@kultur.gov.tr


How to get there

Please click for transportation information

Visit Schedules

The Hagia Sophia Museum is open to visit every day except Mondays.

Museum Pass

Please click here for more information about the Museum Pass.

  e-journal    |   online tickets   |   faq   |   privacy policy   |   sitemap  
        Copyright 2011 © Hagia Sophia Museum