Public fountains are structures built contiguous to mosques with a special architecture for charitably distributing water to the public. There are two public fountains built in Hagia Sophia for this purpose.
One of them is at the right of Vestibule Door exit to yard and adjacent to the main outer wall at southwest. The built date and sponsor is ambiguous, but it is dated to 18th century based on its architectural style. It is coated with marble. There is an incumbent room toward the door at the back and there are two rectangular windows surrounding the room. Water mains on the windows are cast-iron carved.
The second public fountain in Hagia Sophia reflecting the Ottoman Classical architecture is built by Sultan İbrahim (1640-1648) on the southeast corner of the wall of outer yard of Hagia Sofia. It has three windows with marble carvings. Each window has arched sections at their lower parts for water distribution.
Special seasonable treats are offered for museum visitors from the historical fountains of Hagia Sophia within the scope of "Historical Hagia Sophia Fountain Treats" organization which is becoming a tradition in recent years. These treats are carried out once a month within the scope of Cultural Activities of the Hagia Sophia Museum for reminding the role and function of public fountains in our cultural history.
Special treats such as Hamidiye Water, Mado Sahlep, Orange Juice and Hydromel of Kozan Municipality, Tamarind Juice and Court Limonade sponsored by Eman Tur, special Conquest Halvah of Fatih Municipality, Vefa Boza, and Rose Dessert of Faruk Güllüoğlu were shared by visitors during past Hagia Sophia Public Fountain Days.
Activity announcements of "Historical Hagia Sophia Fountain Treats" can be followed in the "Activities" section of Hagia Sophia Museum web site.